Sunday, February 22, 2009

Screaming from the kitchen

Last December I was so excited to be cooking at home after one month of hotel life.

One day I was looking forward to making white rice. I can't live without WHITE rice. One of my American friends gave me a rice cooker made in Japan because she couldn't read the directions. I was very happy to have it.

I was using it that day. I plugged in, then it made noise and sparked. I said, "Uh ooh" to myself. I remembered Avram told me we have to use a transformer for our electrical appliances. I couldn't give up about white rice, so I tried again with the transformer. This time the rice maker jumped, made louder noise, and smoked. I was surprised, so I jumped with it too. I smelled something burning. It was my beautiful rice maker.

When I told about it, Avram said "Lucky you. If it was a hair dryer, your head would get burnt." Oh, no! Then I would have a burned head like in a comedy show. I don't want to die with that hair style.

I make rice in pots now, but you know I can't succeed every time. I often smell something is burning.

Officially Avram and I don't have any secrets, but I did this week.

Last week I was going to get sour cream, but I bought cream cheese by mistake. Even if we ate it everyday, it was a lot for two of us. I decided to make a cheese cake which I don't need a oven because we can't use our American gas oven here. I used a pan. It worked for a while. It smelled good, but it was ugly when I opened the cap of the pan. It looked like vomit. I was sad to see it even if the taste was good, so I didn't tell we have the cheese cake to Avram.

Today we got hungry, but didn't have enough food at home. Finally I had to ask him if he wants the vomit. Of course, he said yes. I made him close his eyes and eat them. He liked it.
Yes, he is good at making me happy.

The other day, I heard a man was yelling or shouting outside even if I was on the 11th floor. A man was there and a woman was bringing her knives from her place and asked him to sharpen them. We needed to do that too, so I brought him our knives. After he finished sharpening them, I asked "How much?"in Korean. I heard "$10.5, "but I was not sure if it was $15 or $10.5. I showed $15, then he took it and said thank you. Hmmm..., I was wrong. I should have asked how much it was again and again. I told it to my Korean friend. She said that was too expensive and gave me advice I should give $5 (cheaper money) first and leave there.

In Korea you often see shops that don't show or put prices on their stuff. Every time I go shopping, I learn how to shop in this country.

Avram sometimes hears my screaming from the kitchen when I make mistakes or get shocked. He sometimes calls me to ask if I am all right with the house work from his office. He's scared of my life as a home maker.

1 comment:

NOBU said...

海外に住むといろいろと大変な事もありますが、後からそれらが笑い話&ネタになりますからな。むふふ。何事も楽しんでいきましょう!お二人なら大丈夫。ぼったくりには気をつけて←わしもしかり。